TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP) is an online travel company and operates the world’s largest travel site. More than 375 million unique visitors use TripAdvisor’s sites every month. TripAdvisor was also recently recognized as the world’s most popular travel app with over 215 million downloads worldwide.
TripAdvisor China is able to provide the burgeoning class of Chinese millennial tech-savvy independent outbound travelers with tools to help them break out of the traditional group tour model to have a more authentic and individualized travel experience. TripAdvisor operates under a unique hybrid model in China where local management is provided with significant flexibility and independence for local decision making and development of new products whilst at the same time given access to reuse and leverage TripAdvisor’s global code base and other engineering tools and know-how.
TripAdvisor China is looking for an online technology and business leader who will establish and execute our technical vision, and lead our Chinese engineering efforts. We have a team of astoundingly talented engineers in place, and now we need their leader. Technology has always been integral to our company and the VP, Engineering; TripAdvisor China plays a large and crucial role in our company’s strategic direction, development and future growth.
You will be a core member of the China leadership team with direct and indirect reporting lines to TripAdvisor’s China business leadership as well as TripAdvisor’s global Engineering leadership. You will drive the technical map and the strategic vision for our China site, accelerate product innovation, and build and lead a world-class software development team located in Needham (Boston) and Beijing.
The candidate should be fluent in both English and Mandarin Chinese with at least 10 years of work experience in a global internet company based in the US and be well versed in how to communicate, build relationships with other peers in the engineering organization and get things done in a western company culture. Any experience living, studying or working in China would be a plus. Frequent travel between US and China is required. There is a strong preference for candidates who are flexible to relocate to Beijing should it make sense for the business to bolster in-market engineering leadership later down the line.
Our engineers are already deeply dedicated to our culture of excellence in execution; it will be up to you to reinforce it. You will define realistic targets and milestones, focus the engineering team, encourage a high level of team participation and interaction, serve as mentor and coach, and live and breathe our “Speed Wins” approach —all while implementing world class design methodologies and processes that support product delivery including software development, release management, product testing, and product documentation. Is it easy? No. Is it fun? You bet it is.
Specific Responsibilities include:
● Lead, manage, and grow a 50+ member technical team in Needham and Beijing including software development engineers, QA, systems administrators, and IT
● Manage all software activities necessary to take design specifications from architecture to general production delivery
● Identify and drive improvements in the development process that facilitates quality, customer experience, schedule, and cost improvements
● Think strategically and operate tactically to drive and deliver on the technical vision
● Architect, monitor, question and evolve how we work in order to ensure that China engineering resources are being well utilized
● Play a key overall company leadership role as part of the China leadership team
● A Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science
● A minimum of 10 (Ten) years prior related management experience
● Fluent in both English and Mandarin Chinese
● Proven track record of hiring, mentoring, and developing engineers
● Strong experience with agile software development techniques, developer driven testing, and highly automated test environments
● Experience with the design and development of e-commerce and media web sites
● Experience with a wide range of technologies including Java, Tomcat, PHP, PostgreSQL, Apache, Ajax, JSON, and other web technologies
● Experience with large data sets using Hadoop and other NoSQL technologies
● Exceptional problem solving skills with an eye towards delivering solutions quickly
● Strong understanding of object oriented design patterns and how they are used in software design
● Previous experience leading the technical function for an online consumer brand
● Exceptional leadership and mentoring skills
● A demonstrated business mind-set and general management orientation
● The capacity to set a strong vision for technology
● Strong execution/implementation skills
● Ability to communicate and work successfully across functions within a multinational organization
● Excellent decision making abilities
● Loves travel – not required, but a huge plus!
● A good sense of humor preferred
● Must be able to perform customary physical duties and meet appropriate social expectations of a professional office environment.